Friday, October 17, 2014

Down Range: Fighting Imperial Knights

Massive Behemoths

Imperial Knights are massive war machines that were constructed during the Dark Age of Technology -- representing one of humanity's greatest feats of engineering alongside Titans and super heavy tanks. Often affiliated with a Knightly House or the Adeptus Mechanicus itself, Imperial Knights command any battlefield upon which they stride and possessing enough firepower firepower to level a hab-block.

Lol Games Workshop...
Warhammer 40,000 lore is among my favorite in the science fiction universe, second only to Battletech. Super heavies are impressive models on the field and -- as an owner of two super heavy tanks for my Guard -- I love being able to pull them out and play them.

With that being said, I was not a huge fan of the inclusion of super heavies in normal games of Warhammer. Part of the fun of packing up my super heavies for a trip to the store was knowing I was going in for a ridiculous brawl; a game where dozens of super heavies and thousands of models were being played on the field.

Personally, I think Imperial Knights are utterly ridiculous and -- unless you create an entire army consisting of heavy weapons -- it is likely any normal list for a 40k army will get smashed. I faced one for the first time yesterday and its firepower was so overwhelming that I didn't even manage to make it past turn two.

And if the answer to fighting an Imperial Knight is purchasing my own, than no thanks. I'd rather used the $140 on something else.

I am a fan of Warhammer and I've been playing it for more than a decade, but if this turn into pay-to-win is what GW is now aiming for in their market, I may very well put 40k down for good and find another -- more tactically minded game -- instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment